• 109回复

纽约等墟記之续集 [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题
离线z-far
发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 30楼 发表于: 2008-01-12

Thank you, 喜儿.  This is the signature picture of UPenn.

* I was here, attened this school from 1985-1987.  This happened when your famous 1986 picture was taken (with Jason, Becky etc) at a restaurant at San Francisco.  Time flies...  I was working for my Master Degree at its Moore School of Electrical Engineering.  The world's first computer (with vaccum tubes, instead of integrated circuits), was designed and built at this school.  Sorry, I did not think about any Class78 classmates then, while I was at UPenn.

* A few words about UPenn, it is a bit elitist.  Many rich American families want to have their kids to attend its business school--the Wharton Business School (top-5 in the US).  I met many bright and talented business school students then.  Many of them, paid their own tuitions, after saving some money from works.  I was very impressed with these MBA students.  I wondered why they made such a sacrifice.  This was particularly so, when I attended UPenn, the school paid me instead (something like $1000 per month, by working as teaching, or research assistant).  Years later, I realized that perhaps, I may have being better by taking their career path, instead of my hard-core engineering pursuit...

* UPenn is a good school.  Its engineering program is designed to produce the classic intellectual giants, like Einstein, Newton, and Maxell...  In others words, everything was very academic, abstract (paper and pencil).  Knowledge is about ideas, practical skills and implementation details, are mere deratives of it.  This was UPenn's ideals, goals, and thrust to train its graduates.  It, kind of re-connects me, at the time to our math/science teachers at Class78 days, their teaching methods, and philosophy.  Such an approach to education, constrasted sharpy with the realities in the late 1980s in America.  After all, this was the era when the computer industry was red/white hot (Silicon Valley Booms, Digital Equipment, Wang Lab etc.).  In the computer profession, everything is about practicality.  Any/everything goes, if it works.  To excel and make money in the computer profession, you need no formal education, you need hard work, trial and errors, experiences (heuristic the word summarize it all, and a bit of luck) etc...  Obviously, I was torn, which path within the engineering carear to take (Einstein, or computer nerd, money) ...    Ahhh, so much to elaborate...

* 20 years later, all the threads of thoughts/trade-offs mentioned above are not all that significant.  The compter/Hi-tech industry, in America is on the wane (just like the American auto-industry)...  

* So, what is writing all about?  Should your kid be inspired to attend a school like UPenn?  Let me finish this writing with an observation.  At my colleage (Bachelor degree, UMass-Amherst) graduation/fairwell party, every one of us shared, where each of us was going, the career path to take on etc.  I proud said, I will attend UPenn (the respected), to work on my Master degree.  Then, an American classmate kindly reminded me, why did I wanted to continue to study engineering?  Life would be much better off and less certain by taking on the medical career path, he gentlly and kindly offered me the advice.  He followed by saying that he would attend the medical school, studying dentistry at Temple Univeristy (a much less well known school nearby), and become a dentist, instead of the hard-core engineering.   20+ years later, I warmly think about him, and his kind words... 

Do what makes you happy.  Another 20+ years from now, does it all realy matter, uhhh...

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 31楼 发表于: 2008-01-12
波板糖:

大红频果哥哥:你什么时候回来呀?牛屎巷可是你的地盘呀,上次DHK回来,我们一起回到你们原来住的巷子,你原来住的房子在装修呢。

波板糖;你好!迟下先回乡啦,牛屎巷仔根本晤系我的地盘,哦?我原先住的地方在装修?谢谢你波板糖! 祝:幸福!  快乐!

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 32楼 发表于: 2008-01-12
小猪妹:

大红频果哥哥:你偷偷约了米C敏,

嘟吾使甘呀嘛?[/]小猪妹:你好!我偷偷约了米C敏嘟系甘啦,能A点提示你系那位同学吗?谢谢小猪妹!

离线夕阳

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 33楼 发表于: 2008-01-12
多谢老猪的回帖
离线喜儿

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 34楼 发表于: 2008-01-14
Z-Far: Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. UPenn is a very well known school. Many of my friends hope their kids will be able to attend that school. A couple of my family members graduated from UPenn. We all respected it. But if you ask me if I want my kids to go to one of the top schools like UPenn, I think it depends on a child's interests and qualifications. If a child is really bright,talented, and willing to compete and challenge themselves, maybe it is not a bad idea. I would say congratulation. My philosophy is that no matter which school you are going to you should take the major that interests you most since you will study and work in that field for almost the rest of your life. That's my advice for my kids. I also agree with you. Do what do you like  and  what makes you happy!

[此帖子已被 喜儿 在 2008-1-16 13:10:14 编辑过]

离线喜儿

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 35楼 发表于: 2008-01-14

多谢楼上各位的回贴,大西洋城和垃斯维加斯各有特色.

[此帖子已被 喜儿 在 2008-1-14 15:09:52 编辑过]

离线DHK

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 36楼 发表于: 2008-01-14

喜儿:

明天早上我去拉斯維加斯玩三天,到時會上傳相片.

离线喜儿

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 37楼 发表于: 2008-01-14
DHK: Good Luck! Have a nice trip!
离线喜儿

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 38楼 发表于: 2008-01-17

"圣旦节"当天的不速之客

圣旦大攴: 驼鸟肉和袋鼠肉

请欣赏.....

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 39楼 发表于: 2008-01-18
喜儿;圣诞老人送乃礼物A你哇,你晤收?
离线宪兵队长

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 40楼 发表于: 2008-01-18
看见都流口水......
离线随缘

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 41楼 发表于: 2008-01-20

宪兵队长:
看见都流口水......

报告队长:水桶拿来了.

离线喜儿

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 42楼 发表于: 2008-01-21
宾兵队长: 唔使流口水,好睇唔好吃,袋鼠肉好忍哗。
离线BigPaul

发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 43楼 发表于: 2008-01-22

U. Penn has been ranked the 5th position in the Best National Univeristies for the year of 2008 by US News, trailing Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Stanford and followed by CIT and MIT. CIT(California Institute of Technologies) and MIT(Massachusetts Institute of Technologies) usually rank among in the top three ... surprisily they are out of top 5 this year.

宾利凡尼亚大学在美国新闻杂志的<<2008最佳全國性综合大学龙虎榜>>上排第五位,尾随普林斯頓大学,哈佛大学,耶鲁大学及斯坦褔大学之后,却在加州理工和麻省理工之上。令人跌破眼镜的是加州理工和麻省理工以往都是三甲之料,今年却被挤出五强之列,呜呼哀哉!

注: 美国新闻杂志的"教育龙虎排行榜"是根据上学年学校入学成绩,新生继读率,毕业率等多項指标评分而成,是美國学生老师家长选择学校的重要指南。http://www.usnews.com/sections/education/index.html

[此帖子已被 BigPaul 在 2008-1-22 9:31:08 编辑过]

[此帖子已被 BigPaul 在 2008-1-22 10:48:27 编辑过]

离线ssh
发帖
金钱
经验值
只看该作者 44楼 发表于: 2008-01-22

I just looked up the rankings on the U.S. News and World Report web site.  It looks like U. of Penn and Caltech are tied at number 5. These rankings change every year.  In recent years, Caltech was ranked as high as number 1 and as low as number 7. 

快速回复
限100 字节
如果您提交过一次失败了,可以用”恢复数据”来恢复帖子内容

上一个 下一个